Anemia - Low Blood Counts
1. Testosterone Induces Erythrocytosis via Increased Erythropoietin and Suppressed Hepcidin: Evidence for a New Erythropoietin/Hemoglobin Set Point
- Testosterone alters iron metabolism and stimulates red blood cell production independently of dihydrotestosterone
- Depressed response of the erythropoietin-responsive splenic cell population to erythropoietin in acutely protein restricted mice. In Vivo. 1995 Jan-Feb;9(1):71-3.
- Jelkmann W, Kurtz A, Bauer C., Effects of fasting on the hypoxia-induced erythropoietin production in rats. Pflugers Arch. 1983 Feb;396(2):174-5.
- Foley JE, Gross DM, Nelson PK, Fisher JW. The effects of arachidonic acid on erythropoietin production in exhypoxic polycythemic mice and the isolated perfused canine kidney. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1978 Nov;207(2):402-9.
More information: Xiaofei Gao et al. Thyroid hormone receptor beta and NCOA4 regulate terminal erythrocyte differentiation, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (2017). DOI: 10.1073/pnas.1711058114
Journal information: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
- Kathleen M. Schieffer et al., JAMA Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery, doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2016.3631, published online 29 December 2016.
Association of iron deficiency anemia with hearing loss in US adults
- Jeffery L. Miller, Cold Spring Harbor Perspectives in Medicine, doi: 10.1101/cshperspect.a011866, published online July 2013.
Iron deficiency anemia: A common and curable disease
- 10. Sudden sensorineural hearing loss associated with iron-deficiency anemia: a population-based study, SD Chung et al., JAMA Otolaryngology - Head & Neck Surgery, doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2014.75, published online May 2014, .
- Phyo Myint et al., Journal of the American Heart Association, doi: 10.1161/JAHA.115.003019, published online 17 August 2016.
Impact of hemoglobin levels and anemia on mortality in acute stroke: analysis of UK regional registry data, systematic review, and meta‐analysis
- American Heart Association , accessed 17 August 2016 via EurekAlert.